This nearly full steamer of soup disappeared in minutes. I love how completely easy this was – Idea to table in 25 mins plus I got the whole kitchen cleaned during that period too. This delicious & super inexpensive meal was inspired by the leftover Easter Ham in my freezer & the two sad sack carrots in the fridge.
In Multipurpose Steamer. This could be done in a pot too. The steamer speeds up the process and contains the moisture so you don’t heat up your home (it’s been 35+ C for 3 weeks in a row!)
- Two large baking potatoes, diced 1/2-1″. (Precision is sooo not needed!)
- 2 small carrots, sliced.
- Water to cover
- 1 Tbsp chicken broth (https://danakayal NULL.epicure NULL.com/en/product/1001083)
Cook 9-10 minutes. Meanwhile gather your other ingredients & if you’re like me, wash some dishes. You’ve got 9 whole minutes, I love taking conscious note of the before and after’s. I promise you’ll be shocked and amazed at what you can and do get done in 9 mins!
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 Tbsp Garlic & Onion Nutritional Yeast Topper (or HG dip mix or Roasted Garlic Aioli or Classic Salad Dressing Mix)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch mixed into 2 cups of milk
- 2 Tbsp Mac & Cheese (https://danakayal NULL.epicure NULL.com/en/product/1001709) powder
- 1 cup leftover ham (or use bacon)
- 1 cup frozen cooked corn
- Stir well to distribute your thickener (cornstarch) throughout.
- Cook 4 mins. Stir. It should start to have thickened up by then. Stir very well to even out the consistency. If it hasn’t yet started to thicken up, stir part way through the next step
- Cook 4-5 minutes, basically until all cornstarch taste is cooked out.
- 1/4 cup cheddar (I had cubed & grated – just for interest!)
- A few snips of chives.