Prep time, 20 mins. Cook time, 5-6hrs.
I was leaving the house in half an hour and wouldn’t be home until 7pm, so a crockpot meal was in order. I had only my homegrown whole chickens, so I grabbed a small one (fully frozen) and tossed it in my Instant Pot for 20 minutes on pressure cook (so that it would thaw a little bit) while I chopped my veggies.
- 1 whole chicken (pieces work of course!)
- 1 med onion, diced
- 3+ cups of diced carrots
- 1 big knob of ginger, sliced in big pieces (galangal is even better if you have it)
- 4 ribs of celery, chopped
- 3 red peppers, chopped
- 1/2 a head of garlic, cloves peeled
- 1 6″ piece of lemon grass, bruised
- 5 Kaffir Lime Leaves
- 1 Star Anise
- 2 tsp Epicure’s Indonesian Seasoning (or Madras Curry or Thai seasoning) In my version I used 2 tsp of Cinco pepper.
- 2-3 cups Epicure’s Chicken Bouillon
Toss everything in your crockpot, and cook on low 5-6hrs. Take out your chicken, remove bones & skin and shred the meat. Remove the star anise, lime leaves, lemon grass and ginger chunks and discard.
Add chicken meat back into your pot and add:
- 4 cups of coconut milk – real Thai tetra packs are my fav
- juice of one lime
- 2-3 Tbsp of Fish Sauce
Cook 30mins on high to have all flavors meld. Serve.